CPA License Defense Lawyer
Protect your CPA License
- Was your application to the CBA rejected (or you’re worried it will be)?
- Are you under investigation?
- Do you have a pending criminal matter or a criminal conviction?
- Whatever your concern, Unlock Legal can help you. We are the experts in defending professionals and protecting their licenses.
If your license is in jeopardy for any reason, contact us immediately for a free consultation.
Request a free consultation
Contact us today for a confidential case assessment
Protect your CPA License
Suppose the CBA has denied your application for a license or threatens to take action on the license that you already hold. In that case, you need urgent and immediate legal help from an accounting license defense attorney. Contact the attorneys at Unlock Legal today.
Accounting License Applications
In addition, the applicant needs to answer a detailed set of questions about themselves. One of the most important questions about which an applicant needs to provide information is their criminal history. The applicant must go into extensive detail about every criminal conviction. The failure to disclose a conviction can be disqualifying in itself.
CPA License Investigations
- Law enforcement
- Government agencies (for example, if an accountant signed a fraudulent tax return, the California Department of Tax and Fee Administration could make its own referral to the CBA)
- Professional associations
CPA License Accusations
There are a number of things that could trigger an investigation and potential disciplinary actions. Here are some potential accusations that the CBA could make against you:
- Negligence or incompetence in their practice (the CBA does not even need to prove gross negligence)
- Fraud, deceit, and misrepresentation in the practice of public accountancy •
- Failure to follow professional standards in providing accountancy services
- Criminal convictions (they do not even directly have to directly relate to practice as an accountant)
- Disciplinary actions by other agencies
- Irregularities or misstatements in a license application or renewal
No matter the type of potential charge, the ramifications may be serious. Any type of disciplinary action (even a censure) can follow you for the rest of your career. You may not be able to remain an accountant or find a job in the field. The stakes are high whenever you are the subject of an investigation.
CPA License Accusation Defense
Before you do or say anything, you should contact a professional license defense lawyer. At Unlock Legal, we are experienced defense attorneys for public accountants. We have dealt with various boards throughout California.
License defense attorneys will often engage with the relevant board earlier in the disciplinary process. Some matters could be resolved by having someone tell your own side of the story. You may have the chance to present your own version to the CBA before they even try to take any disciplinary action. In a best-case scenario, your accountancy license defense attorney could make the potential enforcement action go away completely. In other cases, your lawyer may be able to reach a deal with the CBA.
You also have the ability to fight any allegations against you. The CBA would need to bring your case to an administrative law judge before any action could be finalized. Your lawyer would have the opportunity to call witnesses and question any witnesses who are testifying against you at the hearing. If you are unsuccessful, your attorney could take the case to state court. A judge can review your case prior to any action being taken against you.
CPA License Hearing Attorney
The accounting profession is one that requires complete honesty. If an accountant has been convicted of any crime, the CBA would need to assess the accountant’s fitness to continue practicing. An accountant would need to inform the CBA of any criminal conviction. Here are some of the criminal offenses that could present an issue for your license:
- Drug and Alcohol Convictions
- Domestic Violence
- Sexual Assault
- Any Crime Involving Dishonesty or Moral Turpitude
- Tax Evasion