For convicted felons who have been rehabilitated since serving their sentence, it may be challenging to apply for gainful employment. However, in some instances, convicted felons or those that may have specific misdemeanor sex offenses can apply for a Certificate of Rehabilitation, which makes securing gainful employment less difficult. In this blog post, we will discuss Certificates of Rehabilitation and how they can improve the quality of life for those who successfully obtain them.
What is a Certificate of Rehabilitation?
A Certificate of Rehabilitation is a California court-issued document that indicates that a person previously convicted of a felony or certain misdemeanor sex offenses has been satisfactorily rehabilitated according to the criminal justice system.
What are the benefits of a California Certificate of Rehabilitation?
Although a California Certificate of Rehabilitation does not erase a felony conviction or seal an individual’s criminal record, it does offer some tangible benefits. The purpose of the document is to restore civil and political citizenship rights to ex-felons who have demonstrated rehabilitation. As a result, the COR can:
- Act as an automatic application for a Governor’s pardon
- Restore an applicant’s civil rights (such as the right to vote), except for 2nd Amendment rights
- Reduce the number of obstacles in obtaining professional licensing
- Allow an individual to legally state that they have no record of conviction on their employment applications
- Provide official proof that an individual has been satisfactorily rehabilitated
- In some cases, it can relieve an individual of the obligation to register as a sex offender
If you or someone you know has been convicted of a felony, meet certain conditions, and are looking to obtain a COR, then we can help. The Unlock Legal team has successfully worked with other individuals to obtain California CORs on their behalfs. Due to our background in criminal defense law and our specialized expertise in professional licensing law, we are uniquely qualified to help you get your life back on track. We can help you both obtain a Certificate of Rehabilitation and then assist you in receiving an occupational license for your career of choice. Although this is a tricky subject, please know that with us, you are in great hands. Contact Unlock Legal today to speak with a professional about your case and your unique needs.